- Are you passionate about creating positive change in the world around us?
- Would you like to join a team of outstanding people who help bring new ideas to life?
- Do you have experience with start-ups and other early-stage companies?
With one foot in academia and the other in industry, Oxford University Innovation (OUI)’s professionals undertake a wide variety of activities. From licensing University inventions and finding investment for spinout companies to setting up social enterprises and supporting student entrepreneurship, innovation is the magic behind the scenes that turns ideas born in Oxford University into technologies and new ventures that create positive and transformative economic and societal impact in the wider world. The Incubator is OUI’s specialist support to engage with Oxford Students and Alumni to develop ideas outside of the University Research framework
We have an exciting opportunity for the right candidate take the leading role in managing our Start-Up Incubator, which has supported over 100 start-up ventures since 2011. Successes from the incubator include Onfido, Colwiz, and Prolific.ac. The role requires someone with entrepreneurial spirit, strong business acumen, excellent communication skills and a proven ability to manage interactions with a broad base of entrepreneurs, including students and alumni. The key responsibilities include:
- Managing and evolving the OUI Start-up Incubator
- Mentoring entrepreneurs through the key stages of incorporation and fund raising
- Attracting suitable new ventures into the Incubator
- Identifying and executing new commercial strategies to keep the Start-up Incubator sustainable
- Initiating and developing collaborations and partnerships within the University and externally
- Developing the profile of the Incubator regionally, nationally and internationally
- Working with and influencing world-leading entrepreneurs in the University community and beyond
The successful candidate will have a relevant degree (or equivalent), with a PhD or MBA desirable but not essential. A strong background in start-ups is preferred. They will need to demonstrate experience and expertise in supporting start-ups or running one. Adaptability and resilience in a fast-changing environment and problem solving with diplomacy will be important for this role. Proven competence in the following is also essential:
- Strategic thinking and proactively driving change
- Grasping new concepts quickly, and translating them into commercially viable proposals
- Working effectively with multiple stakeholders, assertively influencing them and where appropriate showing tenacity and persistence in business development situations
- Deploying excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Successfully negotiating commercial contracts
- Managing a large portfolio of complex projects to a positive outcome
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this role, please download the application form from the OUI website and send together with a copy of your CV and covering letter to Sarah Barton at firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about the benefits and working life at OUI can be found here https://innovation.ox.ac.uk/about/careers/
Salary for this role is commensurate with experience and will be in the range of £43,000 – £50,000
The closing date is Midday, Tuesday 28th September 2021
Oxford University is and Equal Opportunities Employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and is empowered to reach their full potential. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures.
We are accredited with the Investors in People Silver status.