The Babraham Institute is a charity which is world renowned for its research in life sciences to enhance lives and improve wellbeing. We are looking for a Knowledge Exchange and Commercialisation (KEC) Officer to join our dynamic team to support the Knowledge Exchange Manager and Commercialisation Manager in delivering a programme of projects and events to fulfil the KEC programme for the Institute.
This is a key role in the Babraham Institute’s KEC team that involves working with Institute staff, scientists and key stakeholders to help maximise the impact of Babraham Institute’s research. The post has responsibility for various knowledge exchange and commercialisation activities both within the Institute and working with the Institute’s trading arm Babraham Institute Enterprise Limited, including supporting a number of commercialisation projects.
Applicants will have a postgraduate degree in a relevant scientific subject or equivalent experience, and will also have experience in scientific technology transfer activities including the drafting of legal contracts.
Key Areas of Responsibility
• Work with the Commercialisation Manager to protect and commercialise the Babraham Institute’s intellectual property portfolio. This will involve liaising with Institute scientists to capture and evaluate new ideas, and with patent attorneys to prepare, file and maintain patent applications.
• Manage a number of the Institute’s commercialisation projects. This activity will involve working with Institute staff and the Commercialisation Manager to develop translational projects, including the investigation of potential markets, identification of funding opportunities, and supporting the Commercialisation Manager with contract negotiations.
• Provide support to the Contracts Officer in liaising with third parties to manage and negotiate a range of agreements including MTAs, CDAs and scientific facility agreements.
• Provide logistical and administrative support to Institute’s internal commercialisation fund calls, KEC Committee and Babraham Institute Enterprise Board meetings.
• Assist in the collation of commercialisation data, for example details of industrial collaborations, for the purposes of internal and external activity reporting.
• Contribute pieces for the website, newsletters, blogs and social media.
• Assist the Knowledge Exchange and Commercialisation Managers in identifying and applying for additional sources of funding to support KEC activities.