With one foot in academia and the other in industry, Oxford University Innovation’s professionals undertake a wide variety of tasks, from licensing university ideas, consultancy and finding investment for spinout companies, to setting up social enterprises and supporting student entrepreneurship. The Consulting Services team within OUI works across the depth and breadth of the University’s academic disciplines and is responsible for providing a professional project administration and management service to researchers who engage in consultancy & departmental services work.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an exceptional Head of Consulting Services to lead OUI’s activity in this vibrant area. The role will involve providing day-to-day leadership to a highly capable group, helping them to achieve OUI’s goals in generating impact from the expertise resident in the University’s academic community.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Leading and inspiring the team to ensure they are highly motivated, skilled, and developing professionally.
- Collaborating with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Management Team to set group goals and ensuring that the budgets are managed effectively.
- Developing strong relationships of influence with senior and high-profile stakeholders both internally within the University and externally (e.g., with industry partners).
- Working closely with the University’s four research Divisions to deliver strategic initiatives through which consultancy and departmental services can enhance the impact of their work and create new opportunities.
Reporting to the COO, the successful candidate will have experience of leading consultancy activity and of working in roles of responsibility at the interface between industry and academia. OUI is looking for an exceptional candidate who has the ability to act with wisdom, diplomacy, integrity and sound commercial judgement.
The successful candidate will also need to demonstrate proven ability in:
- Providing great leadership, being open and energetic and with the ability to motivate, inspire and develop teams to achieve world class performance.
- Working effectively with key senior stakeholders both internally and externally, positively influencing them and, where appropriate, showing creativity and resilience in strategic business situations.
- Having broad-based senior management experience which will enable you to work effectively with specialist functions and experts from outside your professional discipline.
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for this role, please download the application form from the OUI website and send together with a copy of your CV and covering letter to Sarah Barton at firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about the benefits and working life at OUI can be found here https://innovation.ox.ac.uk/about/careers/
The closing date is midday on Monday 26th April.
Salary for this role is commensurate with experience and is likely to be in the range of £65,000-£80,000.
Oxford University is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and is empowered to reach their full potential. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures.
We are accredited with the Investors in People Silver status.