Build your career in Knowledge Exchange
KE practitioners play a vital role in supporting the translation of research into impact
“It is my dream job and it never ceases to challenge and enthuse me.”
- Knowledge Exchange & Commercialisation Officer
"A career in technology transfer made sense as it offered me the best of both worlds.”
- Technology Manager
“If you enjoy science from an application point of view, then tech transfer could be a good opportunity.”
- Senior Technology Associate
PraxisAuril: supporting your career in knowledge exchange
Knowledge exchange practitioners typically come to the profession from one of two routes:
- A research background, often to PhD level, with a deep understanding of public sector research establishments
- An industry background, bringing an understanding of commercial requirements
These two backgrounds bring transferable skills which work well in a KE environment, though may have different training requirements.
Whatever the background and training needs, PraxisAuril can provide support to knowledge exchange and research commercialisation professionals at every stage of their career, whether through one of our public courses or bespoke programmes.
We also encourage practitioners to apply for RTTP status, which demonstrates a commitment to achieving the global standard of professional achievement.
Knowledge exchange is a fascinating and fast-paced area of work, requiring specialist skills and exceptional people
Knowledge exchange, technology transfer and research commercialisation professionals are involved in facilitating the achievement of impact from research, which can be an immensely satisfying career. It can also be extremely challenging and requires professionals with excellent interpersonal skills to build and manage positive relationships between a range of stakeholders.
Typical day-to-day activities can involve:
- meeting with academics to discuss new or existing technologies
- analysis of new inventions (including market analysis and prior art searching)
- working with patent attorneys to co-ordinate new patent filings or existing patent management
- project development (including applications for translational funding)
- marketing technologies to potential licensees
- review and negotiation of legal agreements and management of post-deal relationships.
Most roles will require research and/or commercial expertise in a relevant broad disciplinary research area(s). For current vacancies in KE, visit our Jobs page.
ATTP provide a global definition of KE
RTTP is the international professional standard for knowledge transfer and commercialisation practitioners working in universities, industry and government labs. The RTTP framework recognises demonstrated competence and experience across the breadth of knowledge exchange, from IP commercialisation through to university-business collaboration and start-up company creation.
RTTP signals personal and professional credibility, and tells employers, colleagues and business partners worldwide that:
- You are an experienced, skilled professional with a proven record of achievement
- You work effectively and creatively to add significant value and deliver outcomes
- You have demonstrated competence, integrity, vision, versatility and perseverance
- You have undertaken relevant training courses and/or gained qualifications that enable you to perform well and that have helped you to build a rich network
PraxisAuril is a founding member of ATTP, and this enables us to offer to our members internationally benchmarked and accredited CE points for training courses and conferences. Earning ATTP CE points provides the most straightforward confirmation that you have gained the key skills required to become accredited in Knowledge Exchange, and be awarded the RTTP designation.
Contact a member of the PraxisAuril team to find out more: firstname.lastname@example.org
PraxisAuril training courses and conferences are eligible for ATTP continuing education (CE) credits