The Science and Technology Facilities Council supports innovation opportunities arising from its research portfolio through the commercialisation of technologies, industrial use of the National Laboratories and the creation of innovation eco-systems on the National Science and Innovation Campuses at Sci-Tech Daresbury and Harwell. Strategic advice on the range of activities to deliver on the innovation goals set out in the Strategic Delivery Plan is provided by the Innovation Board which reports to STFC Council.
STFC is looking to recruit advisory panel members to their Innovation Board. There are up to eight independent, non-executive positions available. The term of membership will ordinarily be for two years, commencing June 2019, with the possibility of reappointment. Members are asked to attend the meetings twice a year with other business conducted via email. Please note these roles are not remunerated.
Applications are invited from individuals with substantial experience of research led, or industry-led innovation and delivering new business derived at the intersection of academia and industry.
The Innovation Board will provide strategic advice on:
- The content, balance and priorities of STFC’s existing innovation programmes;
- Engaging with innovation activities across UKRI and new approaches to delivering innovation within STFC;
- STFC’s participation in the research and innovation campuses at Harwell and Daresbury, and leadership of the innovation opportunities at these locations;
- How STFC can capitalise on its expertise and experience in innovation, and how STFC’s contribution to innovation can best be promoted to stakeholders and Government;
- Approaches to capturing, measuring and communicating the impact derived from innovation activities supported by STFC, both in the shorter term and longer term, including the criteria for success;
In addition, the Innovation Board is responsible for the Innovations Balance of Programmes exercise.
The timetable for appointments
- Call opens Thursday 28th February 2019
- Call closes at midnight GMT Sunday 31st March 2019
- W/b 8th April 2019 – Shortlisting
- W/b 13th May 2019 – Candidate interviews
- W/b 27th May 2019 – Panel decision letters issued/members confirmed;
- End June 2019 – First external advisory panel meeting.
It is intended that the Innovation Board will have representation from academia and industry, providing expertise across the range of Innovation activities. Members of the external advisory panel will be selected based on the evidence provided against the following criteria:
- Extensive experience in a senior role working at the interface between industry and academia;
- Proven ability to provide advice at a strategic level with the ability to exercise judgment across a broad spectrum of policy and research issues;
- A knowledge of the role of STFC’s National Laboratories, and an understanding of STFC’s programme and its priorities;
- Awareness of the national and international (funding) landscape in which STFC operates;
- A demonstrable ability to think and act strategically, and address difficult decisions across a broad spectrum of issues. Confident and well informed in debate.
- Ability to quickly form positive working relationships with a wide range of people.
- Ability to commit the necessary time and attention to the role and where appropriate, have the full support of their employer and organisation.