Technology Transfer Fellowships –fixed term for one year (London-based)
LifeArc is an independent medical research charity with over 25 years’ experience in helping scientists and organisations turn their research into effective diagnostics and treatments.
In support of this mission, LifeArc is launching a new Technology Transfer Fellowship programme in partnership with Imperial Innovations, Queen Mary Innovation and UCL Business (UCLB). This new initiative aims to provide the first steps for talented scientists to transition into the field of technology transfer. There will be four Fellows appointed who will each be given extensive training and experience in relation to identification of intellectual property (IP) with commercial potential, procuring IP protections, marketing and commercialisation processes including the eventual partnering of successful projects with the pharma industry via licensing or spin-out creation.
Each of the four participating organisations will host the Fellows, on a three-month rotational basis. Fellows will receive training on distinct topics during each rotation and benefit from being exposed to a variety of projects, expertise and organisational practises along the way. The requirements for the successful candidates for these entry-level roles are:
- Postgraduate degree in life or medical sciences and/or MBA or equivalent
- Aptitude for describing complex scientific information in accessible terms and ability to quickly grasp new scientific concepts
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate confidently and effectively with academic staff, all levels of management and companies.
- Competence in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Experience in technology market research, analysis and reporting
- Experience in technology marketing, IP protection or commercial negotiation including contract development/analysis
- Understanding of the drug discovery process and of the academic, biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry marketplaces
For these fellowships, LifeArc offers a competitive entry-level salary in technology transfer. In addition, LifeArc offers a defined contribution pension scheme, private health insurance, a flexible benefits scheme and 31 days paid holiday per year.
LifeArc brings together a network of partners to tackle specific diseases and directly funds academic and early stage research with the aim to turn great science into greater patient impact. The LifeArc Technology Transfer division (TT) collaborates with and provides technology transfer and intellectual property services to a range of partners and clients including medical research charities worldwide, academic research institutes, universities, the Medical Research Council (MRC) and to LifeArc’s Centre for Therapeutics Discovery and Centre for Diagnostics Development.
LifeArc is committed to the principles and practices of equal opportunities and to encouraging the establishment of a diverse workforce. It is our policy to employ individuals on the basis of their suitability for the work to be performed and their potential for development, regardless of age, sex, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy or maternity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief. This includes creating a culture that fully reflects our commitment to equal opportunities for all.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter explaining why you want to work in technology transfer: email@example.com.
Closing date: 12pm Monday 10th December 2018
Interview date: Thursday 10th January 2019
Start Date for Fellowships: mid-March 2019