Job Title: Senior Business Development Manager
Company: Durham University
Department: Research And Innovation Services
Position Type: Professional And Administrative
Grade 8 £40,793 - £48,676
Senior Business Development Manager
The Department and role purpose
Research and Innovation Services (RIS) provides guidance, expert advice and hands-on support for all aspects of research and research-related work, including securing funding, working with partners, undertaking knowledge exchange, demonstrating impact, commercialising outputs, ensuring good research practice and supporting professional development.
The Partnerships and Engagement team within the Research and Innovation Services directorate works with external organisations and our academic colleagues to facilitate the creation of new research and commercial opportunities and to ensure that Durham University’s research is world-changing with global impact and reach.
The successful candidate will be responsible for creating a delivery plan, developing new business opportunities, bid development, lead generation, contract negotiation, managing customer relationships and strategic partnerships to support business and industrial collaboration with relevant academic staff, research groups or research institutes, with a focus on opportunities and partnerships related to the UK Industrial Strategy.
The post holder will report to the Head of Partnerships and Engagement Team, and will be a member of the Business and Partnerships Development group, whose remit is to work closely with the research base to develop and engage in substantive business and industrial research collaborations and partnerships. This role will have a particular emphasis on the Industrial Strategy and Innovate UK funding.
The post holder will be expected to form strong links externally with Innovate UK, the KTN and industrial partners, and internally within departments with academics, Heads of Departments, Directors of Research and key personnel across the University.
- Provide expert professional subject expertise and problem-solving skills.
- Act as recognised Knowledge Transfer and Business Development practitioner within own specialist area or discipline, shaping activities, processes and systems.
- Responsible for operational activity across different business engagement areas.
- Oversight of short-term project teams/strands, taking responsibility for decision making as appropriate.
- Engage with key stakeholders and internal and external partners to influence opinion, delivery and reputation of services.
- Act as specialist point of contact, gathering and presenting complex data and information sources, interpretation and analysis with respect to knowledge exchange.
- Significant input into the scoping and resource planning across a range of Business Engagement activities at operational and strategic level.
- Carry out project scoping, initiation, planning and implementation for large-scale/University-wide initiatives, initially this will focus on areas and projects of relevance the UK Industrial Strategy.
- Take responsibility for shaping the development and learning of others outside of team, through the design and delivery of a regular programme of training and briefing meetings for academic colleagues on business engagement.
- Lead on the design, implementation and monitoring of policy and quality standards, procedures and systems ensuring effective working and continuous improvement.
- Participate in and provide advice to cross-University working parties to optimise University policies with respect to knowledge exchange and, specifically, on the University’s Work with Outside Bodies policy.
- Promote and develop a deep understanding of Durham University’s engagement with business and industry sectors and external developments.
- Promote the improvement and efficiency of departmental services by implementing and managing review and improvement procedures.
- Ensure all activities, processes and transactions are accounted for accurately and promptly to meet regulatory and professional service and policy standards.
- Implement processes to manage the integrity and security of all commercially and professionally sensitive and personal data.
- Participate in and lead cross-University internal business meetings, working groups and sub-committees at operational service level to influence and optimise governance, organisational policy and standards for the service with respect to knowledge exchange and, specifically, on the University’s Work with Outside Bodies policy.
- Responsible for allocating and monitoring financial budgets and resources.
- Manage quality and regulatory audit process for services to businesses and partners and to manage over-arching systems and procedures.
- Gather data for Higher Educational Business and Community Interaction Survey (HEBCIS) and the upcoming Knowledge Exchange Framework (KEF) and develop Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for internal use to monitor progress.
- Work with team members, internal and external stakeholders to build and maintain excellent working relationships.
- Contribute to operational leadership teams and decision making to shape the nature and level of support services.
- Promote and provide professional guidance to stakeholders regarding consultancy, services for business and partners and knowledge exchange activities.
- Lead and deliver professional development and support initiatives that will apply across the University.
- Produce communications for promotion and reporting purposes, designing and structuring information and fact, applying creative and innovative principles to influence and engage, including the development of a marketing and communications strategy specifically for sectors relating to the UK Industrial Strategy.
- Deliver professional expertise with investigative and service methodologies, make recommendations and identify priorities to develop business plans and achieve business outcomes and objectives.
- Maintain an oversight of the service and performance metrics to provide reports for higher level managers and committees.
- Represent the service and University at promotional events and contribute to the delivery of presentations at conferences.
- Develop external relations, identify and develop opportunities for industry and business and encourage increased levels of participation.
- Work with academics in departments, institutes and research centres, and external contacts to identify and develop business partnerships and collaborative projects which align with and are supportive of Durham University's strategic research interests and in particular related to the UK Industrial Strategy.
- Liaise with funding bodies and others as required to support business partnerships and collaborative projects related to the UK Industrial Strategy.
- Any other reasonable duties.
Closes midday on :04-Jan-2019