Genetics and Molecular Sciences
Gibbs Building, 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE, UK
Wellcome Trust are recruiting for a Science Portfolio Manager to join the Genetics and Molecular Sciences team on a 12 month fixed term contract.
Wellcome is one of the world’s largest charitable foundations. Our funding supports over 14,000 people in more than 70 countries, to explore ideas in science, population health, medical innovation, the humanities and social sciences and public engagement. The Science division contributes to Wellcome’s mission by improving health through the best research, as set out in the Science team strategy. We are responsible for a diverse portfolio of activities across Wellcome’s broad scientific remit and work closely with our colleagues within Wellcome and with the external community to deliver this.
We are recruiting for a Science Portfolio Manager to join the Genetics and Molecular Sciences team on a 12 month fixed term contract. The Genetics and Molecular Sciences team aims to make significant contributions towards answering of some of the most fundamental questions in biology. We have 4 main focus areas:
- Unlocking the secrets of genomes
- Understanding physical and functional properties of genomes
- Exploring protein structure and function
- Using data and large scale resources to accelerate discovery
As a member of the wider Science division, you will build on your specialist knowledge and broaden your skill set to deliver a diverse range of internal and external activities as part of cross-functional teams. You will liaise with internal and external stakeholders, including other funders, and provide our community of researchers with support and advice. You will need to keep abreast of the scientific field and attend key national and international conferences in the field.
Experience & Skills
We are looking for a creative individual with experience working outside academia in a research ideally in a funding or policy role. You should be confident interacting with your peers and the external scientific community. You will be a critical scientific thinker who has the ability to influence at all levels and build collaborative and productive relationships.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A breadth of scientific expertise in a relevant field through relevant work experience in an academic, industrial, funding agency or charity setting
- Experience and knowledge of universities, funders and other relevant scientific and research organisations and communities
- The ability to demonstrate a breadth of interest in science and an understanding of strategic issues in research funding and policy
- Experience of managing projects in an academic or industry setting
- The ability to employ diverse approaches to effectively communicate complex information to individuals and groups from a range of different background and different seniority levels
- Knowledge of the international research funding arena
Education & Qualifications
You will have a PhD in a relevant discipline and/or relevant post-PhD experience
To apply please submit your CV along with a cover letter of no more than one side outlining your suitability for the role and motivation for applying.
Appointment Type: Fixed Term
SubDepartment: Genetics and Molecular Science
Salary: Circa £40,000 per annum
Duration: 12 months
Number of Positions: 1
Interview Timing: 8th and 9th July
Applications to be received by 1159pm on 18-Jun-2019