Job title: Research Engineer (KTP Associate)
Job reference: REQ02155
Application closing date: 14/01/2019
Salary: £33,800 - £37,400 per annum
Employment type: Fixed-term, Full-time
Job category/type: Research
Job description: Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP)
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs) are a unique UK-wide activity that helps businesses to improve their competitiveness and productivity by making better use of the knowledge, technology and skills within universities, colleges and research organisations. Further information is available at www.ktponline.org.uk
The University of Essex in partnership with Cloudfm Group offers an exciting opportunity to a graduate with the relevant skills and knowledge to develop a first-of-its-kind implementation of the Internet of Things (IoT), moving the facilities management (FM) industry away from general reactive monitoring and into proactive asset care and insight, enabled by the UK's richest source of FM data.
This post is fixed term for 36 months and is based at Cloudfm Group's offices in Colchester, Essex.
Duties of the post:
The duties of the post will include:
- Establish an awareness of Cloudfm's working environment and gain an understanding of the problems which are to be addressed through the utilisation of wireless sensor network (WSN) and associated technologies for facility management.
- Implementation/testing/evaluation of an IoT prototype for sensing and communication.
- Research into, design and development of efficient data collection/reporting methods for the implemented prototype.
- Development and iterative testing of necessary tools to control and manage the prototype.
- Publishing paper and drafting patent applications as needed.
- Working with the project team, design and build software which will enhance the current Cloudfm suite of products.
- At all stages, ensure that skills brought to and developed by the project are transferred to Cloudfm's existing skills base by conducting training exercises.
The post holder must have:
- A degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Electronic/Telecommunication Engineering or equivalent experience
- High-level knowledge and practical experience of embedded devices, sensors/actuators and data communication
- Hardware/software design/development and embedded systems programming
- Knowledge and interest in the Internet of Things and Wireless Sensor Networks
- Ability to write technical reports/papers
As a KTP Associate, the post will offer the following benefits:
- A personal development budget of GBP 6,000 (exclusive of salary).
- Management training and mentoring by an Innovate UK KTP Adviser.
- An interesting and challenging role, with exposure to a variety of stakeholders.
- Full access to university resources to complete the project.
- World-leading Academic and Company project supervision, with project support by a dedicated, sector-leading KTP Office.
Cloudfm House, Charter Court
Severalls Industrial Park
This role is subject to funding. Funding outcome is due January 2019.
At the University of Essex, internationalism is central to who we are and what we do. We are committed to being a cosmopolitan, internationally-oriented university that is welcoming to staff and students from all countries and a university where you can find the world in one place.
Please see the further detail link below for a full job description and person specification which outlines the full duties, skills, qualifications and experience needed for this role plus more information relating to the post. We recommend you read this information carefully before making an application. Applications should be made online, but if you would like advice or help in making an application, or need information in a different format, please telephone the Resourcing Team (01206 876559).