QUBIS Spinout Manager
Research & Enterprise
QUBIS Ltd (QUBIS) is the dedicated spin-out and investment vehicle for Queen’s University Belfast. QUBIS was established in 1984, and at that time, was a pioneer of the commercialisation of university research through the creation and support of spin-out companies within the UK and Ireland. QUBIS has an independent Board of Directors drawn from both industry and the senior management of the University. QUBIS has an established track record, being regularly ranked within the top 5 comparable organisations in terms of income and return nationally. As QUBIS no longer employ staff directly, the post holder will be a Queen’s employee dedicated to QUBIS activity.
The Spinout Manager is responsible for maintaining the flow of high-quality sustainable spinouts based on technology from within the University Research base.
- The post holder will help academic founders to identify, shape and appropriately structure spin-out or spin-in opportunities based around emerging and innovative technology.
- The Manager is also responsible for enhancing the growth and value of the existing portfolio companies, generating a financial return to the University and demonstrating the University’s economic impact by exiting from portfolio investments at an appropriate opportunity, and emphasising the commercial relevance and value of the University’s research base.
- This is a fast-paced role and would suit someone who is excited by new ideas and taking them from proof of concept, through to high quality spinouts and eventual value realisation events.
- This is a fantastic chance to work with exciting, ground breaking technology and to develop entrepreneurial networks.
- There is already a great local presence and the role would provide the opportunity to build valuable contacts within both the vibrant investment community and with leading technology experts.
The ideal candidate will have excellent organisational skills, with the ability to manage simultaneous projects and build strong relationships (both internal and external).
You will have strong commercial experience and be adaptable with a flexible approach.
The successful candidate will have:
- A degree level qualification and/or a relevant post graduate or professional qualification.
- Substantial relevant experience and expertise in a commercial environment.
- Demonstrable sound commercial acumen and experience of securing return on investment.
- Ability to acquire a sound understanding of scientific concepts in order to evaluate their commercial potential.
- Well-developed analytical skills and ability to analyse complex information to problem solve and/ or inform decision making.
For full job details and essential/desirable criteria please see the candidate information on our website by clicking apply. You must clearly demonstrate how you meet the criteria on your cover letter.
Queen’s University has generous terms and conditions of employment underpinned by excellent benefits. We also provide attractive well-being, family friendly and other lifestyle benefits. The salary scale for the posts is £40,792 - £50,132 per annum (potential to progress to £53,175 per annum through sustained exceptional contribution)
Further information about the Directorate can be found at http://www.qub.ac.uk/Research/
Informal enquiries may be directed to David Moore, email: David@qubis.co.uk
Anticipated interview date: Wednesday 8 May 2019
Salary scale: £40,792 - £50,132 per annum (potential to progress to £53,175 per annum through sustained exceptional contribution)
Closing date: Monday 29 April 2019
For full job details and essential/desirable criteria please refer to the candidate information link on our website by clicking apply. You must clearly demonstrate how you are meeting the criteria on your application form. For further information or assistance contact Resourcing Team, Queen’s University Belfast, BT7 1NN. Telephone (028) 9097 3044 or email on email@example.com
The University is committed to equality of opportunity and to selection on merit. It therefore welcomes applications from all sections of society and particularly welcomes applications from people with a disability.