LOCATION British Library, London
SALARY £35,000-42,000 (negotiable dependent on skills & experience)
CONTRACT TYPE Permanent
PARTNERSHIPS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
The Alan Turing Institute is the UK’s national institute for data science and artificial intelligence. The Institute is named in honour of the scientist Alan Turing and its mission is to make great leaps in data science and artificial intelligence research in order to change the world for the better.
The Turing’s Partnerships team translates academic research to impact. The purpose of this role is to work with academic and business colleagues, stimulating and supporting the development of strategic collaborations in defined sectors and research domains, to generate income and impact. Reporting to the Partnerships Development Lead, the post holder will focus on identifying and evaluating challenges, spotting funding opportunities and negotiating contracts to a successful conclusion.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the Partnerships Development Lead on all aspects of execution of the income and impact-generating plan, which means:
- Leadership of business development for standard modes of partner engagement such as Data Study Groups or Data Science for Social Good summer programmes;
- Coordination of follow-up activities for each Partnership opportunity, seeking advice, where necessary, to ensure strategic alignment and operational efficiency. This will involve working closely with colleagues in the Turing Business team, with Turing Researchers and with staff in Partner organisations;
- Triage and qualification of new inbound partnership enquiries, applying professional qualification techniques to support effective management of the opportunities pipeline;
- Administrative support for defined initiatives which involve meetings, events, travel arrangements; document management;
The successful candidate will be able to evidence that s/he has the following skills and experience:
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent;
- Significant working experience as an account manager (managing own portfolio) with focus on delivering new business growth;
- Previous working experience providing solutions to problems in a technology environment;
- Able to establish a big picture understanding and to synthesise information into propositions which are compelling and relevant;
- Able to manage and progress multiple projects efficiently and effectively, good organisational skills, combined with a strong attention to detail;
- Establish strong reciprocal relationships and work well in a team;
- An effective communicator, in writing and verbally;
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally as necessary.
- A higher degree in science, technology or business;
- An understanding of the academic research environment and the technology transfer process;
- Good working knowledge of key research contract related issues such as intellectual property, publication and confidentiality;
- Ability to demonstrate initiative in identifying areas for change or development and to manage competing demands and pressures whilst remaining calm;
- Previous experience in a partnership development role, with direct experience of managing high level relationships and generating significant funding and impact.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
This is permanent position to be held at the Institute’s site at the British Library, Euston Rd, London. Secondments from university partners are welcome. A competitive benefits package is also available, please ask if you would like further details.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please visit our career page for a full description of the role and more information on how to apply.
2019 Interviews to be held on Thursday 30 May, 2019