The University of Derby's College of Engineering & Technology has an opportunity for a Full-Time Bursary in Computing
The successful applicant will receive a stipend of £15,285 per annum, paid directly by I Scout LTD, and £5000 consumables budget for 2 years. The post also covers Home/EU MPhil tuition fees for 2 years, until target thesis submission date. Please note that the programme length is 3 years.
Please note, if your application is successful and you are assessed as International for fees purposes, you will need to pay the difference between the Home/EU fees and the International fees.
The intended intake period is September, or the next available intake.
The successful applicant will be expected to complete their MPhil within 2 years on the MPhil route, contribute to the College REF submission and get involved in the wider research activities of the College.
Applicants will become part of a friendly and welcoming team and will be supported and managed by their supervisors.
Purpose / Objectives
The MPhil candidate will engage in an industrial project employing both their skills as well as their general understanding in area of Computer Science to the development of a real-world application with significant technical as well as research challenges.
The scope of the project is twofold:
- taking ownership of the current development and advancing the report generation and management to increase the offer to clients which is a software engineering angle; and
- Shifting focus to improved data collection and automatic generation of insights, which is focused around using the latest technologies in Data Analytics.
Principal accountabilities / responsibilities
The candidate has the following principle accountabilities:
- Familiarise themselves with the existing code base and neo4J graph database development in the client’s portfolio.
- Expand the existing offer by developing new backend code for generation of dynamic reports from the data in the database.
- Undertake research in the broad field of data analytics with the purposes of,
- Creating new approaches to data ingestion to update and expand the data in the neo4j database.
- Creating approaches that generate new insights from the data.
- Undertake research in development of software systems that can be easily enhanced with new features.
- Implement elements of their findings to enhance the current product.
- Engage in the University MPhil process and complete an MPhil dissertation in accordance with the University regulations.
- Possibly interact with clients of the business to enhance their understanding of the requirements.
- Interact professionally with the company and supervisory team.
- Showcase and present their results in suitable venues, both academic as well as business oriented.
This opportunity is part of the Productivity Through Innovation (PtI) programme, part funded by the European Regional Development Fund. PtI aims to encourage a culture of innovation and enables businesses to improve their competitiveness and productivity through utilising the knowledge, technology and skills of the University of Derby.
More information on the programme is available here: https://www.derby.ac.uk/business-services/funding-services-and-support/p...