We connect ideas, people and communities to drive innovation that changes lives.
Innovation is complex. The journey from idea to market is not straightforward and requires a diverse range of know-how, investment, market knowledge and research. Innovate UK KTN exists to connect innovators with new partners and new opportunities beyond their existing thinking - accelerating ambitious ideas into real-world solutions.
The future holds both challenges and opportunities. We are passionate about working with innovative businesses to overcome these challenges and shape the opportunities and solutions that follow.
Our vision is to create a network of innovators so powerful its ideas will change the world.
While business is at the heart of our work, our diverse connections span government, funders, research and the third sector. This unrivalled overview and connectivity enable us to be a trusted guide through a complex global landscape of research, development and innovation. Over the next five years, we will build collaborations at a local, national and global level.
Purpose of the role
In 2019, Innovate UK KTN embarked on an exciting six-year Global Alliance Africa programme aiming to strengthen a shared innovation ecosystem spanning South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria and the UK. The project aligns with the UK’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) objectives by forging strategic partnerships amongst innovation stakeholders to enable more effective knowledge transfer and collaboration for stronger local innovation and business environments, helping to achieve long-term ambitions in job creation, inclusive growth, and poverty reduction.
The Knowledge Transfer Manager (KTM) will be a key member of the high-performing Global Alliance Africa team accountable for the effective delivery of the Global Alliance Africa programme objectives in the UK and across the three partner countries of Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa. This role will primarily lead our Place-Based Innovation intervention, focusing on strengthening the capacity and resilience of local innovation ecosystems through first working to better understand regional challenges, capabilities and potential for innovation, and then supporting action-orientated local innovation networks in areas of high potential.
The successful candidate will have strong experience and understanding of bottom-up approaches to working with stakeholders at grassroots level. They will also have a keen understanding of Human Centred Design principles with a focus on building partnerships, engagement, and knowledge exchange in the places KTN is working.
Roles and responsibilities
The Knowledge Transfer Manager will be expected to:
- Take ownership of the Global Alliance Africa Place-Based Innovation intervention in collaboration with Country Teams.
- Lead the timely and successful implementation of project activities to achieve demonstrable outcomes and champion the principles of Human Centred Design across all project activities.
- Support with the design and delivery of additional Global Alliance Africa interventions.
- Work effectively with the Global Alliance Africa Project Manager and project team to plan, manage and deliver its programme against defined workplans, intervention mechanisms and targeted impacts.
- Actively support the Kenya, South Africa and Nigeria country teams in respective country delivery plans.
- Build and maintain excellent working relationships with the UK and international stakeholders.
- Contribute to timely delivery of Global Alliance Africa's KPIs, reporting and CRM content.
- Facilitate capturing, documentation, and sharing of best practices and lessons learned from intervention activities.
- Uphold the value of Innovate UK KTN as the UK’s innovation network delivering national and Innovate UK KTN global innovation commitments.
- Travel regularly to meet with key stakeholders and partners in the UK and overseas as required.
Experience and Qualifications
- Degree qualified or equivalent in international development, innovation management, science or business, with public sector and/or industrial working experience.
- Experience in planning, developing, and delivering community development work-related projects.
- In-depth understanding of the UK and Sub-Saharan Africa innovation landscape, with direct experience in innovation commercialisation, innovation policy and/or grassroots community engagement.
- Experience providing startups and SMEs with innovation support to solve commercial and/or social problems.
- Strong team working experience in a fast-paced, multi-stakeholder programme environment across different sectors and international cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrable experience in producing strategic and/or technical reports.
- Experience and aptitude in building engagements and maintaining partnerships with business and public-sector stakeholder at all levels, with a good professional profile and network.
- Experience working on international donor funded programmes.
- This role has a salary between £42,000 and £48,000 pa.
- 28 days annual leave plus 8 bank holidays, pro rata.
- Enhanced Pension Plan
- Life Assurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Wider Wallet employee benefits high street discounts scheme.
- Opportunities for continuous professional development as part of our Talent & Development Programme
This is a fixed term contract running until March 2025.
Please apply by submitting a tailored cover letter outlining your suitability with specifics relating to the requirements of the role, and your CV outlining your experience. The closing date for applications is Monday 31st January.
London office or home-based with regular commutes to London and significant UK and international travel, when travel restrictions are lifted.
Applicants must have the existing and ongoing right to work in the U.K. without restrictions as sponsorship for visas is not provided.
Unfortunately, owing to the high number of applications received, we can only provide feedback to applicants selected for interview.
Should you wish to discuss this opportunity further, please contact the Recruitment Team by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.