We are looking for an enthusiastic, experienced individual to join us in providing innovation support to companies within the plant and crops sector. The role will facilitate business growth and help promote and drive knowledge transfer between the science and technology base and industry, promoting networking and stimulating innovation relevant to AgriFood businesses. You will help catalyse and support the development of new technology enabled products and processes across the wide range of sectors and industries that will benefit business, the economy, the environment and society.
The post will be varied, working with businesses across the AgriFood sector but with a focus on opportunities driven by challenges of the plant and crop-based businesses.
Reporting to: Head of AgriFood
Grade: Knowledge Transfer Manager (KTM 2/3)
Salary: £45,000 - £53,000 (depending on experience)
Location: Home-based or Edinburgh/London if office working is preferred
- Lead in the delivery and support of new funding streams related to industrial challenges relevant to AgriFood
- Take a leading role in the development and delivery of an AgriFood work programme within the KTN
- Develop future work programmes in agreement with stakeholders and team members, particularly seeking innovative new opportunities which cut across sectors and technologies
- Lead and support on delivery of external projects especially in the business development, client-facing and industry interaction areas of programmes
- Seek opportunities for KTN, with potential for new growth opportunities
- Identify, monitor and act on trends and opportunities for innovation through interaction with business and the technology base
- Drive the development of new networking opportunities for industry to meet with peers and potential collaborators through the organisation of workshops, meetings and other means
- Ensure that industry is aware of the funding opportunities within the AgriFood research and innovation sphere
- Actively engage and visit companies, research institutions and universities, mainly within the UK, to understand their R&D needs and innovation capabilities.
- Take a leading role to understand the business needs and opportunities for the growth of UK Industry and the scientific capabilities of the research base, and work closely with the AgriFood team in facilitating the transfer of knowledge within and between these groups and the establishment of new collaborations
- Understand and facilitate access to Knowledge Transfer support mechanisms for businesses and to help develop funding and investment applications
- Promote the benefits of KTN and innovation within a business context to the UK sector including the preparation of promotional material and the use of various media
- Display and maintain a good commercial awareness in a broad range of topics of relevance to the UK capability
- Liaise closely with KTN staff in all communities to ensure a good understanding of other sector activities, to ensure well informed and integrated working
- Make a leading contribution to the writing of articles for newsletters and blogs of interest to our members
- Lead on the organisation of meetings, workshops, networking events and exchange programmes in a variety of commercial and scientific areas
- Undertake necessary administrative duties including the timely completion of accurate reports, meeting minutes and expenses
- Work within the KTN structure in a flexible manner, e.g. take part in joint activities with colleagues in other teams.
Experience and qualifications
- A degree in a relevant life science or engineering area is required. A post-graduate qualification in a similar field is preferred but not essential
- Several years experience preferably at a business level within the sector or in a KT or University environment is required, with delivery and/or client-facing roles in a business-relevant field in the private sector desirable
- Experience of delivering significant projects for external customers or working with industrial collaborators would be advantageous
- An awareness of knowledge transfer or business development processes is required.
Competences and attributes
- This role requires a highly motivated, self-starting individual with a good understanding of commercial issues
- Must be a confident communicator with well developed written and verbal skills and equally importantly must be a good listener and able to interact with a wide variety of clients and colleagues
- Flexible, reliable and adaptable with good interpersonal and time management skills
- Must have good IT skills with at least familiarity with MS Office suite or similar, internet and email usage
- Holder of a driving licence, a willingness to travel by public transport or by own car is required as the role involves considerable travel including overnight at times.
Applicants must have the existing and ongoing right to work in the U.K without restrictions as sponsorship for visa’s is not provided.
Please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com Applications that are submitted without a CV and covering letter will be automatically withdrawn from the process.
All applications must be received by 31st January 2020