With one foot in academia and the other in industry, Oxford University Innovation’s professionals undertake a wide variety of tasks, from licensing university ideas, consultancy and finding investment for spinout companies, to setting up social enterprises and supporting student entrepreneurship. The Investments and New Ventures team acts as the growth catalyst for companies emerging from Oxford University through early-stage investment and support. The main responsibilities of the team include translational funding, supporting new company formation, fund raising, fund management and portfolio management. The team manages the shareholdings in over 200 companies created by the University of Oxford, valued at over £160m.
We now have a unique opportunity for a dynamic and motivated Investment Associate to join our team. Reporting to the Head of Investments and New Ventures. The successful candidate will demonstrate knowledge and enthusiasm for university innovation. They will possess the right skills to deploy early-stage investment that will help our companies flourish. The successful candidate will have a business, economics or relevant science degree (or equivalent), and ideally have experience of working in a financial or business environment.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Supporting the management of the translational funds. These funds include the University Challenge Seed Fund, and the Parkwalk University of Oxford Innovation Fund.
- Supporting the identification of early-stage investors. Activities will include liaising with investors, supporting companies seeking funding, attending investor events, and identifying new partner organisations.
- Assisting the OUI Investment and Licensing & Ventures teams in the co-ordinating of first round of investments into spinout, start-up, and social enterprises. There will be a focus on startup companies in the OUI Incubator.
- Assisting in the management of the portfolio of OUI’s shareholding in start-up companies.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate proven competence in the following:
- Early-stage investment – an interest in the UK early stage investment market.
- Communication – A team player with excellent interpersonal skills and strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Relationship with others – The ability to contribute to the newly formed OUI Investments team.
- Data management - Effectively managing data and possession of high levels of attention to detail in all areas of their work.
- Self-starter – The ability to use your initiative to find solutions to problems.
- Commercial analysis - Making considered decisions that demonstrate good analysis of the key issues.
How to apply: If you are interested in applying for this role, please download the application form from our website (www.innovation.ox.ac.uk) and send together with a copy of your CV and covering letter to Sarah Barton at email@example.com
Salary for this role is commensurate with experience and will be in the range of £28,000 - £35,000.
Oxford University is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and is empowered to reach their full potential. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures.
We are accredited with the Investors in People Silver status.