Intellectual Property (IP) Officer
Research and Enterprise
Queen’s University Belfast is consistently in the top 10 universities in the UK for research impact when measured by Higher Education Business and Community Interaction Survey (HEBCI-S) based on IP-related Revenue (consisting of revenue from IP licences and divestment in spin out companies). In the past 4 years (through to the year ending July 2018) the Queens University Belfast has generated significant levels of impact when measured based on fundamental innovation and commercialisation KPIs.
- £61.4 million in IP related revenue in the past 4 years;
- 273 new invention disclosures
- 58 new priority patent applications
- 75 new royalty-bearing Licence, Options or Agreements
Queens researchers are tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges. By working in collaboration with faculty, investors and our network of partners, the commercialisation teams are here to help translate inventions into societal impact.
The role of the IP Officer will play a key role in the Commercial Development team within Queen’s contributing to the continued development of the university’s impressive performance for commercialisation and knowledge transfer.
To provide analytical support for the validation, development, management, licensing and reporting of the University’s Intellectual Property (IP) portfolio. Reporting to the Intellectual Property manager, to execute and maintain the operation of the University IP management system within the Commercial Development team. To provide IP landscaping and analysis for new inventions using IPR search platforms. To assess, evaluate and validate patent and invention information using a variety of open and closed tools. To provide financial management analysis and insights for the team in relation to the University licensing strategy. To provide analysis and insights for department KPIs with the purpose of generating actionable process improvements which will increase income and impact from commercial sources.
The successful candidate must have:
- A degree or equivalent.
- 3 years’ recent relevant experience in providing professional advisory or management support in a busy and fast-paced commercial, innovation or IP related environment.
- Demonstrable project management skills to manage multiple simultaneous projects of various size and/or complexity.
- Experience in sourcing, managing and analysing, high volumes of detailed information, and of interpreting and reporting on this data in a meaningful way for the target audience.
- A working knowledge of current higher education policy issues in the UK, particularly in relation to research and the commercialisation of university IP.
Further information about the Directorate can be found at www.qub.ac.uk/Business/Commercialisation/IP-and-innovation/
Informal enquiries may be directed to Dermot Tierney, email: D.Tierney@qub.ac.uk
Anticipated interview date: Wednesday 12 December 2018
Salary scale: £33,199 - £39,610 per annum (potential to progress to £43,266 per annum through sustained exceptional contribution)
Closing date: Monday 10 December 2018
For full job details and essential/desirable criteria please refer to the candidate information link on our website by clicking apply.
You must clearly demonstrate how you are meeting the criteria on your application form.
For further information or assistance contact Resourcing Team, Queen’s University Belfast, BT7 1NN.
Telephone (028) 9097 3044 or email on email@example.com
The University is committed to equality of opportunity and to selection on merit.
It therefore welcomes applications from all sections of society and particularly welcomes applications from people with a disability