- Team: Research & Development
- Locations: Cambridge, Sedgefield
- Remote status: Flexible Remote
At PragmatIC we have a highly skilled, passionate and driven team from diverse backgrounds. We have employees from over a dozen countries, covering 5 continents. The company culture is one that promotes an open and collaborative environment where everyone’s input is valued. Our employees feel fortunate to work in such an innovative and inspiring place, with a talented and dedicated team all focused on reinventing electronics to address real world challenges.
As a result of significant growth, PragmatIC is seeking an Intellectual Property Engineer. This is a new position for a technically-trained, inquisitive and enthusiastic person, who will play a critical role in identifying and protecting PragmatIC’s intellectual property (IP). Reporting to the IP Manager, the successful candidate will help our Engineers and Scientists to recognise, develop and document their ideas, and will be instrumental in recommending and realising suitable protection routes, principally through patent applications and confidential know-how management.
- Documenting, maximising and assessing ideas and discoveries by staff for improvements to PragmatIC’s technology
- Proposing and implementing appropriate actions to protect this IP, which is principally know-how and inventions
- Educating, inspiring and advising PragmatIC staff in matters of IP and confidentiality
- Developing methods and systems to improve IP management at PragmatIC
Qualifications and training
- Degree or post-graduate qualification in a physical science or engineering subject - essential
- Training or qualification in IP or technology transfer - advantage
Skills and experience
- Previous experience of translating technology into commercial products or services
- Demonstrable understanding of the different types of IP and the ways in which they may be protected
- Strong abilities to understand complex technical information and new concepts, to challenge and extend them, and to succinctly extract the key points
- Previous experience of meeting, working with and inspiring a wide range of people who have varying levels of technical, commercial and IP experience (advantage)
- Strong written and spoken (in-person and online) communication skills
- High attention to detail and meticulous working methods, using an appropriate mixture of mainstream software packages for knowledge management (advantage)
- Experience of conducting systematic patent and/or literature searches (advantage)
- Strong ability to work independently and to use initiative to find pragmatic solutions, whilst consulting and seeking advice when needed
REWARD AND BENEFITS
Competitive base salary
We undertake salary benchmarking reviews on a regular basis to ensure that we are rewarding our staff with a competitive market rate.
Contributory pension scheme (employee contribution 5% and company matches)
Learning and Development
Our aim is to develop our team members to be the very best in their field. This support extends to personal as well as career development.
Cycle to work scheme
Private Medical Insurance
Private Medical Insurance is offered to all our staff. This can be extended to family members.
BUPA Cash Plan
Death In Service
If you belong to a professional body associated with your work, let us pay your annual subscription fee!
It may seem a small perk, but if you are struck down with the flu it's not pleasant. Let us pay for you to be vaccinated! It's the least we can do!
Need to wear prescription glasses in the cleanroom?
Let us take care of the cost of your prescription safety glasses!
We have teamed up with salary extras to offer access to discounted products; items become more affordable and your salary will go further. You will also have access to a wide range of benefits including medical and dental cashplan options.
We have two parties per year, one in the summer and one at Christmas. We have a great time and completely let our hair down. We also have a social committee who arranges some great cake and quiz afternoons. We arrange sporting events and love to support charity days.
Recruitment bonus scheme
If one of your recommendations is hired and stays with the Company, you will receive a £1000 bonus.
It is extremely important to us to ensure that our staff are supported through some of the tough times that life throws at us all. We are committed to Mental Health First Aiders in the workplace and we also have access to an Employee Assistance Program that assists with personal problems and/or work-related problems that may impact job performance, health, mental and emotional well-being.
Visa fee reimbursement
We are a Skilled Worker visa sponsor, so if you need a visa to work in the UK, we will reimburse your visa fees (subject to successful process).