This is an outstanding opportunity to play a key role within a highly exciting, dynamic organisation pioneering innovation and enabling and supporting inventors in the translation of innovative ideas and breakthrough research into commercialisation. St Andrews Applied Research Limited (StAAR) was formed, by the University of St Andrews, in 2018 to channel a truly entrepreneurial culture, strengthen links to industry and support the pursuit of Innovation, Creativity and Enterprise.
A highly entrepreneurial and commercially astute individual, you will be part of a dynamic and driven team, with a key role to proactively identify new business opportunities, trends and innovations, shaping pathways to market. Reporting directly to the Head of Technology Transfer, you will have a highly diverse and challenging role assuming responsibility for the identification of potential opportunities within research activities and provision of subsequent guidance and support to researchers/inventors to map out a path toward translation of the idea to successful commercial outcome.
Your duties and responsibilities will include;
- Supporting a portfolio of academics, inventors and researchers to identify, promote and manage opportunities for innovation managing all aspects of technology translation from concept to commercialisation
- Planning and control of activities to ensure innovative and breakthrough research and development activities are achieved in line with strategic growth plans
- Undertaking market research and support the business management team in the identification and evaluation of new technologies for market viability
- Leading commercial activities with a key focus on maximising opportunities for accelerating sustainable growth and generating associated revenues
- Creation of commercial propositions including product definition, route to market plans, product plans and development and creation of associated growth models
- Identifying the need for translational funding to build upon innovation and working with the development team supporting the process to access associated funding
- Engagement with third parties with an interest in acquiring or utilising patented innovations including ensuring optimum commercial terms are achieved
- Providing support in relation to patent filings. Building links with organisations responsible for supporting research and innovation
Educated to degree level, preferably within a physical or life sciences discipline, you will have proven experience in taking innovative ideas from concept through all development stages to commercialisation and spin-out company formation. You will have an in-depth working knowledge of leading and supporting technology translation and producing and developing roadmaps to ensure technology development and product innovation meets market requirements. You will have a well-established network within the start-up community and demonstrable success in project management combined with first class communication skills. Possessing a genuine ability to grasp complex technical concepts, you will be well experienced in deal making and have the ability to create value from innovation and intellectual property.
In conjunction with affording the opportunity to support commercial product growth within a highly innovative sector, you will be afforded a genuine opportunity to play a key role within a dynamic team supporting the growth and development of exciting technologies and cutting-edge start-up. For further details or for an informal discussion, please call Ian Grant on 07584 676 007 or email email@example.com. For further background on StAAR please visit https://www.talentspark.scot/st-andrews-applied-research/