Oxford University Innovation Ltd (OUI) is a wholly-owned subsidiary company of the University of Oxford, responsible for translating the ideas, intellectual property and expertise of University researchers into societal benefit. OUI is a leader in its field, nationally and internationally. Working with over four thousand of the brightest minds at the world’s foremost University, our Licensing & Ventures Group has created more than 250 new companies, and each year executes more than 150 commercial licences.
We now have an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated Deputy Head of Licencing & Ventures to manage and coach an exceptional team, helping them to achieve ambitious business objectives and turning some of the world’s most exciting technology into commercial reality.
The role will report into the Head of Licencing & Ventures (Physical Sciences) and will include working with and influencing world-leading academics to commercialise their research by defining commercial strategies, protecting and managing IP, and marketing and selling the technologies.
The position of the Deputy Head of Licencing & Ventures will be responsible for:
- Delivering commercial and impact goals for the business unit
- Supporting their team to manage a large and varied portfolio of technology projects
- Managing the relationship between OUI and the inventor(s)
- Mentoring their team to ensure they are highly motivated, skilled and developing professionally
- Working with the Head of Licensing and Ventures to shape technology transfer strategy at Oxford
The project portfolio for this role mainly covers technologies from Physical Sciences at Oxford University. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in managing the commercialisation of physical sciences technologies and in developing resources and networks (internal and external) to optimise this process. The successful candidate must have a relevant degree and industry experience in physical sciences and will ideally have a PhD or equivalent in a related discipline and/or an MBA. They must also have the ability to inspire a team, possess strong people management skills and the ambition to achieve results, along with a commitment to integrity and sound commercial judgement. The successful candidate will also need to demonstrate proven competence in:
- Leading and coaching highly capable professionals in a high-performance team
- Co-operating effectively with key stakeholders, building trust to influence them and where appropriate showing tenacity in business development situations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and very strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Successfully negotiating contracts with relevant industry sectors
- Managing a portfolio of complex projects to a successful commercial conclusion.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this role, please download the application form from the OUI website and send together with a copy of your CV and covering letter to Sarah Barton at email@example.com. Information about the benefits and working life at OUI can be found here https://innovation.ox.ac.uk/about/careers/
Salary for this role is commensurate with experience and will be in the range of £50,000 - £65,000. The closing date is midday is Wednesday 2nd December 2020. We will be advertising this role internally and externally.
Oxford University is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and is empowered to reach their full potential. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures.
We are accredited with the Investors in People Silver status.