- Reporting to the Head of Commercialisation, the purpose of the Commercialisation Executive role is to identify and work in partnership with academic staff and R&E colleagues to drive commercial outcomes from opportunities arising from the research of Academic Departments at York.
- Outcomes will include spin-out company formations, commercial licence deals, commercial service provision, externally-funded projects such as translational awards (which advance opportunities towards commercialisation), and on occasion, collaborative awards with industry such as those offered by Innovate UK.
- Success in the role will make a significant contribution to the impact of the research from the Departments involved.
- We are seeking someone with experience of research commercialisation or technology transfer in a research environment and who has supported the development of spin-outs and secured licencing agreements.
(Role holders will be required to undertake some or all of the duties below)
- Working in partnership with academic and R&E colleagues to identify, critically assess and (within a stage-gated process) advance commercial opportunities from relevant Departments towards outcomes such as spin-out company formations, commercial licence deals, commercial service provision and translational/ collaborative project awards.
- Project manage relevant opportunities, including liaison and negotiation between researchers and external organisations (such as potential collaborators, customers, investors, etc).
- Authoring or co-authoring successful bids for externally-funded translational projects which can be used to advance opportunities towards overall outcomes.
- In line with the stage-gated process, securing intellectual property rights where appropriate in collaboration with the R&E IP and Legal Manager.
- Develop and maintain a personal network of external contacts from the communities such as investors, companies, innovation agencies, etc., with whom the post-holder must work collaboratively to deliver success from his/her projects.
- In support of spin-out opportunities use your networks inside and outside the University to source people to provide mentoring, management and governance roles as part of spin-out teams.
- Gathering and disseminating intelligence within the University about forthcoming external funding opportunities for translational funding, Innovate UK awards, etc.
- Act as the University key account manager for a small number of industrial companies engaged with the University’s commercial opportunities, and develop these relationships towards future funded projects etc.
- Capture evidence of the benefits and impacts created by the post-holder’s projects and ensure that these are presented optimally for effect such as web-based promotional case studies, REF Impact Case Studies, etc.
- Carry out internal and external market research activities to identify business/ income-generating opportunities
- Contribute to the development of the University/ department/ centre’s profile within the relevant business/ public/ private sector
- Ensure high-quality business reports and information, and write funding proposals and bids in accordance with the strategic needs of the University/ department/ centre
- Such other relevant project work as assigned by the Head of Commercialisation from time to time
Interview date: 16 October 2020
For informal enquiries: please contact James Kitson, Head of Commercialisation on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01904 326564 or Amanda Selvaratnam, Associate Director of Research and Enterprise and Head of Enterprise Services 01904 325142 or email email@example.com