Research and Innovation Services (RIS) is the central professional services office at the University of Dundee which provides integrated research funding development, commercialisation and business engagement support to academic researchers. Working in partnership to deliver University and School strategic priorities and generate academic, economic and societal impact.
We are recruiting for an exceptional individual to join us as a Business and Innovation Manager for Health and Wellbeing within our expanding Business and Innovation Team, to offer professional support to our high profile academic community, primarily focusing on the School of Medicine and working in partnership with the Business and Innovation Manager (BIM) supporting the School of Life Sciences.
The post will report to Head of Business and Innovation (Health and Wellbeing) and will be integral to a thriving Directorate by delivering a central function within the Business and Innovation Team of RIS through providing advanced intelligence of funding opportunities, deep understanding of the research landscape within your Schools and an ability to coordinate these to influence and facilitate current and future directions and priorities within the University. You will work closely with the wider RIS team and in partnership with key academic stakeholders including Senior Management and key academic researchers across relevant Schools therefore an ability to work across all levels of staff and across multiple disciplines will be a critical success factor.
This is an exciting opportunity at the University of Dundee and Research and Innovation Services (RIS), as we are investing and building capacity and expertise in our Business and Innovation Professional team. If you are an enthusiastic energetic individual with a passion to make a difference and make things happen, have a background in a life sciences or biomedical related discipline and a keen interest in the University’s excellent international research and innovation portfolio, then this is the position for you.
Your priorities will include:
- Developing and maintaining a deep understanding of the research and funding landscape in order to strategically plan and fore-sight major strategic research and innovation initiatives including UKRI, Catapults Innovation Centres, and Scottish Enterprise etc.
- Providing a role of relationship manager for key external research innovation and translational funders relevant to the sector with a particular focus on UKRI funders (BBSRC, MRC and Innovate UK) and specific key programmes such as Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund and future initiatives
- Developing bids directly with industrial partners including multi nationals and SME’s where Government funding and other funder schemes are available such as Innovate UK
- Promoting and facilitating opportunities across the relevant Schools to engage with industry and access funding sources which drive translational research, impact and contribute to a sustainable funding platform • Identifying IP and commercialisation opportunities which would benefit from translational research funding and supporting the development of appropriate applications
Who we’re looking for:
- A first degree in a Life sciences or biomedical related discipline relevant to Health and Wellbeing.
- Several years’ experience of working in industry, or industry-focussed and/or translational research public funder in a hands-on business development or technology transfer related role
- Experience of taking a strategic and analytical approach to assess areas of strength, identify competitive advantage and develop propositions that are commercially attractive
- A successful track record of preparing and supporting substantial research and or investment funding proposals.
- A working knowledge and understanding of technology transfer practices
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – internationally recognised for our expertise across a range of disciplines and research breakthroughs in multiple areas, including science, medicine and engineering, amongst many others. Conveniently located on the banks of River Tay, our main city-centre campus is at the heart of Dundee - an up-and-coming, friendly, compact and affordable city with a rich heritage in design and technology. We also have campuses at Ninewells Hospital and in Kirkcaldy which are easily accessible via local transport links.
For further information about this position please contact Margaret Teven at email@example.com .
To find out more about Research and Innovation Services please visit Website.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee one of the top universities in the UK.
Family friendly policies, staff support networks for BME and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN and Stonewall, as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.