To develop APHA business across the veterinary diagnostic and pharmaceutical industry worldwide and to act in between the project managers, the scientists, and the organisations we work with to supply a world-leading service. To effectively analyse information to achieve results and to develop and maintain relationships with key customers.
Being a Business Development Manager at the heart of APHA Scientific will allow you to grow our commercial business in the veterinary industry (pharmaceutical and diagnostic) and research & development sectors through active business development, key account management and excellent customer care. This is a high impact outward facing position requiring business opportunity assessment, project development, costing and contract negotiation with both new and existing customers.
- Growing commercial business in the veterinary pharmaceutical, diagnostic and research & development sectors.
- Creating and building new and existing client relationships, including those in less developed countries, through active business development, key account management and excellent customer care.
- Identifying potential areas for vaccine development and veterinary diagnostics in collaboration with the industry, universities, research & development institutes, and more.
- Liaising with the project delivery team to ensure customer services are delivered on time and to budget, ensuring all teams are fully informed with the most up to date information.
- Business opportunity assessment, project development, costing/pricing and contract negotiation with both new and existing customers, with support from legal and finance teams.
- Reviewing and modifying business strategies, as required, to respond to changing strategic priorities and market requirements.
- Quickly assemble information when required and make informed business decisions.
- Work closely with the marketing team to coordinate promotions and participate in tradeshows and other marketing events, which occasionally requires national and international travel.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for someone with a firm understanding of biology or life science and a commercial grounding to take the step into APHA Scientific and develop the business across the veterinary diagnostic and pharmaceutical industry. Someone who is able to act in between the project managers, the scientists, and the organisations we work with to supply a world-leading service to develop and maintain relationships. This individual will be sales-savvy with a keen eye for development and being able to effectively analyse information to achieve results.
- Have a degree-level qualification or equivalent experience working in biology or life science environment (minimum 4 years).
- Have significant understanding of research and business development within the life science sector (e.g. pharmaceutical and diagnostic industry or academic commercial activities).
- Have experience in dealing in sales management alongside a demonstrable commercial aptitude and understanding.
- Have strong communication skills (essentially in negotiations, presentations and “one to one” meetings) with strong interpersonal skills and an ability to collaborate with all stakeholders, both technical and non-technical.
- Ideally possess a post-graduate degree in business or equivalent.
- Ideally possess experience in customer relationship management and contract negotiation.
- Finally, you will have a genuine interest in working for Government, and enthusiastic about developing a career with the Animal and Plant Health Agency.
Periodic travel within the UK or overseas including less developed countries will be required to visit customers, attend events (e.g. congress and symposiums). Out of hours work may be required in these circumstances.
A valid full driving licence is necessary or access to an alternative means of transport.
As part of the assessment process you will be asked to give examples of Behaviours using Situation, Task, Action, Result (STAR). You may be asked to give details in a suitability statement of how you match the skills and experience detailed. The interview may also consist of questions against specific strengths. If successful for an interview you may be asked to undertake a further assessment such as a presentation and details of this will be given at the time.