DCU Invent is the university’s commercialisation and technology transfer unit where we work with companies to bring university research to the marketplace.
DCU Invent is now recruiting a Business Development Manager (Life Sciences).
Based at DCU Invent DAC, the commercialisation subsidiary of DCU, the Business Development Manager (Life Sciences) is a post funded by Enterprise Ireland under the Technology Transfer Strengthening Initiative 2017-2021.
The role will also involve the provision of commercialisation assessment and related IP services in Life Sciences at DCU and at our partners Dundalk Institute of Technology. The work will involve the active commercialisation of early stage life science projects and with external partners the assessment of discoveries in research programmes in biotechnology, life sciences and the DCU Fraunhofer Project Centre. The person appointed will be an Invent DCU DAC employee and will report to the CEO of Invent .
- Develop and implement intellectual property exploitation strategies through licensing and spin-outs;
- Actively map in-house opportunities to market needs and develop strong commercial leads;
- Participate in negotiations with spin-out company promoters and investors
- Business development of a pipeline of licensing opportunities through Innovation Partnerships and other collaborative research programmes.
- Assessment of innovations and licensing opportunities at DKIT as agreed from time to time
- Developing relationships with external entrepreneurs to support DCU objectives for spin-out companies
- Identification of innovations or expertise with industrial or commercial potential
- Assessment of patentability of invention disclosures
- Assessment of laboratory notebooks and IP procedures
- Liaison with patent agents in the preparation and filing of patent applications
- Assessment of commercialisation aspects of research proposals to Enterprise Ireland and Science Foundation Ireland and providing assistance and support to researchers in preparing applications.
- Review of publications for potential disclosure of commercially sensitive information
- Promotion of DCU and DCU research and innovation programmes at national events organised by Invent, Enterprise Ireland and Science Foundation Ireland and other industry networks.
- Coordinate commercialisation initiatives with Intellectual Property Managers and with Commercial Development Managers in SFI funded centres in which DCU is a partner.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A post-graduate qualification in a life sciences or relevant bio-engineering discipline.
- Relevant experience in commercialising early stage intellectual property, industrial experience will be preferable but not essential.
- Proven experience of having led licensing negotiations either in a university or in industry.
- Experience of managing the IP issues arising in the context of academic research and in particular from academic/industry collaboration.
- An ability to win the confidence of researchers and company representatives and experience of working at the academic/industrial sector interface.
- The maturity and self–confidence to develop relationships at different levels within the University and external organisations such as Enterprise Ireland, Science Foundation Ireland and other funding agencies.
- Ideally the person appointed will have the RTTP accreditation or be eligible to apply for it based on experience.
The postholder will be required to undertake the following mandatory compliance training: Orientation, Health & Safety and Data Protection (GDPR). Other training may need to be undertaken when appropriate.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Mr Richard Stokes, Director of Commercialisation email@example.com. Please do not send applications to this email address, instead apply as described below.
Salary: Remuneration shall be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Closing date: Wednesday 16 October 2019
CVs should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please clearly state the role that you are applying for in your application and email subject line: Job Ref #CC1279 Business Development Manager (Life Sciences)
DCU Invent DAC Ltd is an equal opportunities employer