Business Development Manager (Discovery & Development)
Location: Stratford. We consider this role highly flexible, meaning the role requires someone in the office 1-2 days per week on average.
Cancer Research UK’s Commercial Partnerships group (CP) is dedicated to the development and commercialisation of innovative cancer research. The team accelerates the translation of scientific discoveries and innovations with the aim of maximising patient benefit by bringing together the expertise, capabilities, and resources of CRUK and its scientific and clinical network with that of industry partners.
The Business Development & Transactions (BDT) team provides CP’s primary interface with industry and investors. The team are responsible for the business development activities to promote CRUK’s technologies and capabilities to industry and partner through a broad range of commercialisation routes. These include traditional licensing and collaboration agreements, spin-out formation, and the establishment of innovative industry alliance partnerships. CRUK is currently in the process of changing the way it supports drug discovery and development, implementing an ambitious strategy to maximize the impact of its therapeutic innovation activities. Pursuing creative and flexible partnering models with industry is central to the success of this new approach.
As a Business Development Manager (BDM), working within the BDT team you’ll join the translation interface between scientific innovation and industry. You will work closely with internal and external stakeholders, building relationships with industry and the academic community to identify and develop opportunities for collaboration in the therapeutic discovery and early clinical development space to progress both CRUK-funded science and external innovations. In addition, you will proactively promote CRUK’s discovery and development capabilities and expertise to pharma, biotech and VC partners, manage deal negotiations and make considered contributions to CP’s business strategy and operations.
This role offers an excellent opportunity for the successful candidate to help drive forward CRUK’s business development and partnering activities in the therapeutic discovery and development space, and to contribute to the translation and commercialisation of cutting-edge oncology science with the goal of delivering breakthrough medicines to cancer patients.
To be successful in this role you'll need:
- BSc (or equivalent) in a Life Science discipline, ideally with an understanding of current research in the oncology space.
- Business development, transactions and/or technology transfer experience in industry, academia or non-profit organisations is desirable but not essential. Strong interest in business development, particularly as it relates to oncology drug discovery and development and an appetite to develop skills in new areas.
- An understanding of the steps required to translate scientific innovation into commercial products.
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to establish and maintain effective working relationships and communicate without authority with senior personnel.
- Ability to influence and resolve conflict and construct innovative solutions to overcome challenges.
You can find out more about this role by viewing this candidate pack.
What's in it for you?
- an inclusive and supportive culture where you'll be valued
- a competitive salary with annual salary review
- an industry-leading pension (we will contribute up to 12%)
- a supportive flexible working policy
- an ambitious and successful team environment (you can find out more about them in the candidate pack above)
Closing date: Please note that we have 2 vacancies and as such, there is no closing date for this role, instead the role will remain advertised until both positions are filled. We will be reviewing candidates on a regular basis and will move forward at pace with those that are suitable.