Business Development Manager (Data & AI)
Location: Stratford. We consider this role highly flexible, meaning the role requires someone in the office 1-2 days per week on average.
CRUKs Commercial Partnerships group (CP) is dedicated to the development and commercialisation of innovative research. The team accelerates the translation of new ideas into treatments by bringing together the expertise, capabilities, and resources of CRUK and its academic network with that of industry partners.
The Business Development & Transactions (BDT) team provides CP’s primary interface with industry and investors. The team is responsible for marketing CRUK’s technologies and capabilities to industry and partnering through a broad range of commercialisation routes. These include licensing and collaboration agreements, spin-out formation, and the establishment of innovative industry alliance partnerships. In the last year, CRUK has launched a new Research Data Strategy to increase the impact of cancer data generated in CRUK’s network. A key component of that is facilitating data partnerships with commercial organisations and the BDT team is tasked with enabling these partnerships.
As a Business Development Manager (BDM) focussed on Data and AI working within the CP team, you’ll join the translation interface between scientific innovation and industry and be integral to the facilitation of our novel data and AI partnerships. You will be expected to carry out business development activities relevant to CP’s broad commercialisation objectives, working closely with colleagues within CP’s Opportunity Sourcing & Translation team to proactively promote CP/CRUK and our technologies and datasets to biotech, pharma and tech partners and investors, drive partnering through a broad range of commercialisation routes, manage complex negotiations and make considered contributions to CP’s business strategy and operations. Additionally, you will be tasked with supporting CRUK in the implementation of key elements of our new Research Data Strategy, which relate to commercial interactions as well as building CRUK’s network in the data and AI-driven healthcare through novel collaboration models.
This role offers an excellent opportunity for the successful candidate to help drive forward CRUKs industry partnering strategy, and to make a major impact on the translation and commercialisation of exciting new therapeutics, diagnostics and technologies.
As a Business Development Manager (Data/AI) you will:
- Evaluate opportunities with commercial potential through analysis of technology application areas, market size, competition and market need with a particular focus on data and AI opportunities
- Lead and support marketing and commercialisation activities for data and AI projects in the portfolio;
- Proactively and competently promote CRT and its activities and technologies to external parties through a variety of channels including visits, presentations, marketing events and participation at meetings and conferences;
- Negotiate licences, collaborations and other commercial agreements;
- Support the implementation of CRUK’s new Research Data Strategy within CP and the wider charity including supporting the launch and continued development of a number of novel commercially focussed initiatives.
Who we're looking for:
- Minimum BSc (or equivalent work & industry experience) in a Life Science discipline, ideally oncology or technology-related;
- Business development and commercialisation experience drawn from working in relevant industry (including technology transfer), academic or non-profit roles is preferable; Applications from PhD graduates in relevant fields with less commercial experience will also be considered;
- Strong interest in, and good understanding of the steps required to translate scientific innovation into commercial products
- Broad knowledge and awareness of drug/technology discovery and development (preferably within the oncology sector);
- Ability to grasp and report varied technical concepts quickly, and design, develop and critique sound business strategies based on scientific, commercial and financial analysis.
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
You can find out more about the role by viewing the candidate pack and submit your application by clicking apply now.
Application process: Closing date 27th June 2021. We encourage candidates to not delay their application as we retain the right to close the advert early should the volume of applications become excessive. We do not require a cover letter but candidates are encouraged to outline their suitability for the role by highlighting their relevant skills and experience in the application questionnaire.