Business Development Associate
Salary range £35,998 to £43,558 per annum, depending on experience plus benefits
Do you want a career away from the bench, developing projects that can impact future healthcare?
We have a rare opportunity for an entry level Business Development Associate to join our team. You will be an enthusiastic individual who is keen to develop a career in translating science from the laboratory to an applied setting. You'll have a scientific background in bioscience or bioinformatics but do not need to have had direct experience of research commercialisation.
We are committed to developing an innovation-focused community here on Campus, and are now looking for a scientist (postdoctoral level) who wants to focus on the impact of research and develop a career in business development. Our vision is to create exceptional healthcare opportunities from outstanding science.
Our Enterprise and Innovation Team at the Wellcome Sanger Institute seeks to impact diverse areas of healthcare ranging from precision cancer treatment to neglected tropical disease diagnostics. We do this by finding new ways of applying and commercialising the Sanger's extraordinary scientific capabilities and working with industry, charities, distributors, or investors. We believe in thinking big, innovating together, being open and empowering others.
- Be passionate about promoting innovation in human healthcare and translating new technologies into biomedical resources for societal health benefit.
- Have a scientific background in bioscience or bioinformatics and a keen interest in learning how to apply the Institute’s science in a commercial setting.
- Liaise regularly with the Institute’s scientists to source projects with translational potential and develop these opportunities up to a point where they can be applied directly into the biomedical sector or be developed further through partnership.
- Be able to demonstrate an ability to establish working relationships and craft long-term reciprocal partnerships.
- Be someone who enjoys the freedom of building and handling your own project portfolio.
You’ll be joining an upbeat and supportive team, experienced in translating genome and biodata science toward a range of opportunities in healthcare from:
- Sustainability plans for software or database products (e.g. COSMIC )
- Ambitious public-private partnerships (e.g. Open Targets)
- Technologies and reagent licenses (e.g. CRISPR library)
- Spin-outs (e.g. Microbiotica)
Our team ethos is to encourage independence, knowledge-sharing and personal development.
We actively network with peers to help craft a dedicated community of professionals who are experts in translating early stage technologies and to enable us to share best practice.
You will be expected to travel locally and occasionally internationally in order to fulfil the accountabilities of the role.
- PhD in a relevant scientific subject (or have equivalent experience).
- An understanding of the technology transfer processes.
- Excellent influencing, written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to manage and progress multiple projects efficiently and effectively.
- Proven ability to quickly grasp new scientific concepts and technologies and to identify where there may be applied.
- Awareness of Life Science and BioData industries
- Extensive knowledge of genetics and genomics.
- Exceptional team ethic.
- Experience of successfully translating research into commercial opportunities.
- Evidence of successful project management and contract negotiation skills.
- Experience of successful formulation of business development plans and implementation.
- Knowledge and experience of building technology business cases for investment.
- Awareness of software development requirements and experience of software development project management.
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
For an informal discussion about this role please contact Emmanuelle Astoul ; email@example.com, or apply online.