Job Title: Bid Lead
Reporting to: Head of Bids
The Bid Team’s primary focus is to form, craft and lead the submission of bids and proposals in the transport systems innovation space, resulting in the awarding of collaborative R&D funding and commercial projects. These projects will deliver impact to the UK economy, through the creation of jobs or increased revenues to UK PLC.
The Bid Team function supports the wider Catapult through:
- Dedicated management and communication of a pipeline of opportunities – from ideation through to award and project activation.
- Development and coordination of all written proposals/bids through cross-functional collaboration, maintaining internal governance processes continuously.
- Supporting business development activities, liaising with consortium partners (as appropriate) in support of bid preparation and documentation completion.
- Reporting of bid activities to feed into monthly business reviews, forecasting and Board papers.
- Being custodians of the CRM to provide visibility of all external engagement and business development activities, producing data to enable effective business decisions and reporting.
As part of the Bid Team, the primary purpose of the Bid Lead is to:
- Facilitate the development and execution of robust bid strategies in line with the Catapult’s strategic priorities and mission.
- Own all aspects of the bid process, from finding opportunities to engaging with consortium partners and internal delivery capabilities to develop commercially sound propositions.
- Build and lead virtual bid teams from across the organisation to prepare high quality, creative and market-leading bid submissions.
- Lead internal resources to ensure that high quality, commercially viable and compliant bids are developed, authorised and submitted on time to the highest standards.
- Develop winning bid campaigns, identifying strategic approach, win themes and customer requirements.
- Co-ordinate the production of technical, commercial, financial and operational content for submissions.
- Review and re-draft bid content (as appropriate) to ensure consistent alignment, language, format and approach are taken when multiple parties have supplied to the content.
- Attend collaborative competition briefings, providing a company ‘pitch’ relevant to the competition scope and objectives where appropriate.
- Lead effective bid meetings with consortium partners and internal technical resource.
- Handle multiple bids at a time with competing deadlines.
- Lead the transition of successful awards into delivery, working closely with the Commercial, Finance and respective delivery team(s).
A measured, engaging and highly organised individual with excellent project management skills. The role requires excellent communication and social skills, to build valuable internal relationships that centre on collaboration and trust. The applicant will be articulate, engaging and comfortable in presenting to audiences and ‘holding a room’. The successful individual will be able to demonstrate examples of how they bring the Catapult’s values of care, collaboration, courage and integrity to life in their everyday behaviours and results.
Demonstrable experience in the following areas:
- Leading, delivering and winning collaborative research and development bids with industry such as Innovate UK and H2020.
- Working across internal partners to deliver bids and proposals
- Using creative approaches to identify potential bidding opportunities
- Building and maintaining effective internal and external relationships
- Degree level education desirable but not essential - dependent upon experience.
- Previous experience of working within a research environment
- Experience of using Salesforce or other leading CRM tools to record and customer engagement activities and opportunities