Cancer Research UK-AstraZeneca Antibody Alliance Laboratory: Associate Scientist – Protein Sciences
Location: Granta Park, Cambridge
Contract: Permanent, Full Time (35 hours per week)
Salary: £26,000 - £28,000
Closing date: Midnight 15th December 2020. Please do not delay applying as we will be shortlisting on application and may closing date early if we are inundated with applications.
Application process: CV and application questions via our careers page
You can find out more about the role and AstraZeneca Antibody Alliance Laboratory in our candidate pack
Are you a passionate research scientist with a background in Protein Science related discipline looking to develop skills in drug discovery?
In collaboration with AstraZeneca, Cancer Research UK (CRUK) has established a pioneering laboratory in Cambridge. The lab deploys cutting edge technologies in order to generate candidate therapeutics, diagnostics and reagent tools. This exciting venture takes AstraZeneca’s leading discovery technologies and combine them with biological targets arising from CRUK’s extensive network of academic investigators.
Why we need you?
We are now seeking a research scientist with experience of drug discovery to play a pivotal role in the protein science function of the Alliance Laboratory. The post holder will be part of a multi-disciplinary research team focussed on identifying and characterising biotherapeutic candidates to oncology targets and driving onward development to preclinical proof of concept.
What will I be doing?
- Generating antibody and antibody fragment (scFv and Fab) reagents for the laboratory using mammalian and bacterial expression systems.
- Maintaining mammalian cell line cultures.
- Maintain inventory systems to track protein stock levels.
- Using an AKTA and other automated purification platforms. As well as other analytical techniques such as SDS-PAGE, HPLC and Western blotting.
- Undertaking molecular biology tasks such as restriction digest cloning.
- Undertaking the careful QC analysis of targets and antibody reagents for Drug Discovery
- Building excellent working relationships within a laboratory
What skills do I need?
- Knowledge of how to express and purify proteins
- Experience with aseptic technique for culturing of cell lines.
- Knowledge of protein manufacture and associated data logging would be highly beneficial.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate across scientific disciplines.
What will I gain?
Without you we wouldn’t be able to achieve our aim of seeing 3 in 4 people survive cancer by 2034. So, we want to reward you in as many ways as possible.
- There’s plenty of career progression and training opportunities, through internal and external L&D.
- 25, days annual leave (plus bank holidays and the ability to buy up to 5 days per annum) and 1 CRUK day.
- Pension (employer contributions of up to 10%), life insurance and a great benefit discount platform.
If you’re as ambitious and passionate as we are, join our collective force and enjoy an excellent career, as we save lives and add years.
At CRUK we value diversity and we're committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and to reach their full potential. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures and believe that a diverse workforce will help us to beat cancer sooner. Should you need any adjustments to the recruitment process, at either application or interview, please contact us on email@example.com