At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
As an Academic Alliances Manager, Oncology R&D Business Development & Licensing, you will be a key member of a team that is responsible for establishing, negotiating and executing academic collaboration agreements for the Oncology R&D function. The Oncology R&D Business Development & Licensing team plays a key role in presenting business cases to internal and external stakeholders and ensuring that value is generated for the organisation through transacting on deals to support the Oncology R&D Strategy.
As a member of a multinational, multifunctional team, your primary role will be to support Oncology R&D in the execution of agreements to support collaborative interactions with academic partners. You will also play a supportive role in developing business cases, building term sheets and negotiating complex transactions, with assistance from other functions and team members as required. As an Academic Alliances Manager, you will also be a key ambassador for AstraZeneca in its external interactions as well as helping senior members of the team and wider Oncology R&D to identify future partners, maintain relationships with current and potential future partners and ensure that AstraZeneca is viewed as a partner of choice.
- Work with key internal Oncology R&D stakeholders to identify the best research collaborations which are aligned with Oncology business strategy
- Under the direction and with the support of the Associate Director, Academic Alliances evaluate and advise internal stakeholders on the most appropriate type of agreement to cover specific collaborative and partnering opportunities.
- Under the direction and with the support of the Associate Director, Academic Alliances and cross-functional deal teams (IP, legal, finance, R&D) negotiate and execute various types of agreements with academic partners.
- Initiate, lead and manage re-negotiations and terminations as necessary for academic alliances, under the direction or with the support of the Associate Director, Academic Alliances as needed.
- Manage relationships with potential partners in a timely and professional manner; ensuring that AstraZeneca remains competitive in discussions.
- Maintain a strong and effective network with key academic institutions within the therapeutic area through engaging in regular interactions.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Degree in a relevant scientific discipline or significant relevant experience and knowledge of oncology from working in the life science sector.
- Postgraduate pharmaceutical, biotech industry or technology transfer office experience
- Basic understanding of key principles of contracts, deal structures, intellectual property and value drivers relevant to academic collaboration agreements and related transactions.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to effectively understand and act on complex information under high time pressure situations.
- Project management experience.
- Good working knowledge of all relevant regulations, ensuring industry standards are applied.
- Preferred- Second degree in a relevant scientific or business discipline.
Next Steps, if you feel you are suitable for the role please apply: