Session one: Monday 11 October 2021 (0900 - 11:30)
Session two: Tuesday 12 October 2021 (0900 - 11:30)
Session Three: Wednesday 13 October 2021 (0900 - 11:30)
Session Four: Thursday 14 October 2021 (0900 - 11:30)
Session Five: Monday 18 October 2021 (0900 - 11:30)
Session Six Tuesday 19 October 2021 (0900 - 11:30)
Session Seven: Wednesday 20 October 2021 (0900 - 11:30)
Session Eight: Thursday 21 October 2021 (0900 - 11:30)
Event Costs (for online delivery)
Member Price - £575
Non-member Price - £785
Prices are not VAT applicable and reflect the total cost.
Delegate spaces will be limited on each course delivery. The smaller cohorts will help ensure you are able to make the most of the materials and the sessions. Places will be offered on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Is this course right for me?
- This course is for people with at least 18 months’ knowledge transfer experience gained in an academic, public sector research or NHS innovation environment.
- A working knowledge of contracts and IP management will be assumed.
- It enables delegates to develop practical skills in scrutinising a business plan, understanding the different sources of finance available, critiquing and mentoring pitching. It will enable delegates to understand the key terminology in new venture creation, including term sheet and their consequences understanding the basics of company valuation, the role of directors, supporting the company post-incorporation.
- Those who have attended a PraxisAuril ‘core’ course (e.g. New Venture Creation 1, or Fundamentals of Technology Transfer or Research Contracts) might find this to be a valuable next step, especially if they are seeking to develop practical hand-on skills in how to determine whether projects are suitable for new company formation and how to start a new company.
Why is New Venture Creation important?
- Company creation is a key element in the mix of instruments that allow Universities to deliver impact from their funding inputs and research outputs
- Forming new companies can be a key enabler of developing new technologies and priming them for the market place, and a key tool for the knowledge transfer professional
- It can facilitate economic benefits including a financial return to inventors and their institutions whilst creating new jobs and services of benefit to the local economy and beyond
- New ventures may enjoy symbiotic relationships with their parent institutions investing in further University research and securing rights to develop arising IP
- There is increasing expectation that Universities and research institutes should be skilled at setting up actively managing their relationships with new ventures companies
- Creating new ventures is a complex, challenging and immersive experience. This course gives a framework for knowing how to embrace this exciting challenge
What will I learn from the course?
It will enable the delegates to develop an understanding of the practical issues of starting a new venture, including:
- The context of new venture creation in a KE setting
- Developing a business proposal into an investable plan through working with a real case study
- What resources are required to grow the business
- How to give a short verbal description of their own business proposition
- The needs and roles of different of stakeholders and how to manage them
- Technical aspects such as finance, tax, equity considerations and legal instruments, so that the delegate is aware of areas where professional advice should be sought
- An introduction to post-incorporation governance including the roles of directors and post incorporation issues
Delegates will have the opportunity to hear from academic, technology transfer practitioners with experience in company formation, lawyers and venture capital investors. There will also be ample opportunity for networking with other delegates, the course team and other contributors.
PLEASE NOTE: There may be a requirement for delegates to undertake some pre-course work/reading before the course begins.
What makes this course different to others available in the sector?
PraxisAuril is able to deliver this training from the unique perspective of KE practitioners. We see the world from the same angle as you do! We draw on a wide pool of experience and expertise from within the profession and build them into the course content, ensuring we are always delivering up to date, sector leading training and development.
The course has been updated in light of feedback from last time, to ensure that it continues to meet the needs of each of our delegates. The highly participative and interactive programme uses a new range of interactive techniques to engage delegates in an immersive, memorable and enjoyable learning experience.
|Course Fee (Member Price - £575.00)||£ 785.00|
Event terms and conditions