Defence Academic Pathways: Complex Systems 4 April 2017
The solutions demanded by increasingly large scale problems requiring human-machine interactions need to be robust and resilient to changes and demand. They also need to be low cost and easy to upgrade and support throughout their lifecyle(s). This, together with increased machine automation and autonomy and demands to operate such systems in environments that were not envisaged at design time, presents the 'Complex Systems' problem.
Research into the early stage architecting, design and the associated delivery phases, including sign-off, is needed to enable the successful specification of Complex Systems. To achieve the realisation and accreditation of systems with these enhanced performance goals, who exploit emergent properties, requires additional research to fully understand the impact of design choices and varying deployed environments.
This workshop will provide the attendees with an overview of the problems and an opportunity to discuss ideas for research projects through direct interactions with the DAP Team. As an outcome post-workshop, the DAP community would like to see proposals covering the following topics:
- Early stage architecting and models / simulations at the Concept Stage
- Design methods and tools for exploring the proposed system(s) in the deployed environment(s)
- Business challenges of evolving regulatory requirements and standards
- Changes in employment of a capability and the environment within which the capability is operated
- Transitioning the system through test, realisation, validation and certification
The workshop should be attended by researchers involved with Systems Engineering, machine learning, robotics, or the validation and verification of software systems. The intention of this workshop is to highlight, discuss and aid the definition of future research themes.
To register your attendance at this event please login with your username and password. If you do not have a username and password please click here
For further information about DAP please contact: DAP@mail.dstl.gov.uk
- Registration: 10:00-10.30
- Welcome: 10:30
- Close: 16:00
Venue, accommodation and car parking
- The event will take place at the De Vere Cotswold Water Park, Lake 6, Spine Road East, South Cerney, GL7 5FP. For further details about, and directions to the De Vere Cotswold Water Park Hotel click here
South Cerney, GLS GL7 5FP
Event terms and conditions