Knowledge exchange and commercialisation is a fascinating and fast-paced area of work, requiring specialist skills and exceptional people.
Knowledge exchange, technology transfer and research commercialisation professionals are involved in facilitating the achievement of impact from research, which can be an immensely satisfying career. It can also be extremely challenging, and requires professionals with excellent interpersonal skills to build and manage positive relationships between a range of stakeholders.
Typical day-to-day activity can involve:
- meeting with academics to discuss new or existing technologies
- analysis of new inventions (including market analysis and prior art searching)
- working with patent attorneys to co-ordinate new patent filings or existing patent management
- project development (including applications for translational funding)
- marketing technologies to potential licensees
- review and negotiation of legal agreements and management of post-deal relationships.
Most roles will require research and/or commercial expertise in a relevant broad disciplinary research area(s). For current vacancies in KEC, visit our Jobs page.